1. Don’t hit that snooze alarm! It is your enemy! The snooze alarm is like that little devil who sits on your one shoulder telling you that it's alright to be lazy. Get out of bed immediately after your alarm goes off. By staying in bed longer you are setting the precedent of procrastination. Begin your day by taking charge.
2. Now that you are out of bed, take several deep breaths. Inhale and hold your breath for several seconds. This will fill your lungs with oxygen and increase the amount of oxygen that will get to your heart. In turn, every part of your body will receive more oxygen, including your brain. This exercise will help clear your mind and enable to start the day relaxed.
3. Stretch. A brief set of stretches will help wake you up, get moving and increase blood flow to your muscles. Not only will stretching alleviate muscle and joint stiffness after lying in bed all night, but it will also help to reduce any pent up stress.
4. Drink 8-16 ounces of water. The average adult body is about 55-65% water. A reduction of as little as 4-5% body water can result in a drop of physical performance by as much as 20-30%. It is necessary to replenish what has been lost overnight so that you can begin your day with optimal energy. As you take that first drink of water in the morning, you can almost feel your cells popping to life as they re-hydrate themselves.
5. Eat breakfast. Your body needs fuel to begin operating and to keep going. It is vital that you start your day by filling your tank with the nutrients your body needs to keep it functioning properly. Be sure to get a good balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates at this meal. Never skip breakfast.
6. Exercise. A brief 20-30 minute exercise routine will warm-up and loosen your body. It will also put more oxygen into your system, get that blood pumping and boost your metabolism. Once you are done your morning exercise, you will feel like you have already accomplished a lot so early in the day. So not only will you feel good physically, but psychologically you will be ready to accomplish more throughout your day.
7. Wake up knowing your goals for the day. This will alleviate confusion and head you in the right direction. If your course is not set, you will find yourself all over the map and at the end of the day you will wonder what you have accomplished. Enter your day with a deliberate plan and stick to it. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish!
8. Focus on the positive. There is definitely power in positive thinking. By thinking positive thoughts when you first wake up you enable yourself to be happier, healthier, more resilient, and better able to cope when stressful situations arise. By presenting a positive outlook you will be able to communicate more effectively with others because they will be drawn to you. Start your day on a positive tone.
9. Go for it! Now that you have prepared yourself for the day, make it happen!
I challenge you to try these nine simple suggestions for one week and to feel the difference it makes. I know that you will be amazed!
Enjoy your day!